Don W. Kent Attorney
Don Kent has more than 34 years experience defending multi-million dollar products liability, toxic tort, business and medical liability claims against individuals and companies in state and federal courts. Don is Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, is an “AV” rated attorney with Martindale Hubbell, and is a charter fellow of Litigation Counsel of America.
- Represented doctor in defense of medical malpractice claims involving claims of failure to timely diagnose resulting in multiple amputations caused by meningococcemia meningitis in minor child. Jury trial in Dallas County televised live on Court TV with plaintiff seeking $20 million in damages. Jury returned a zero verdict of no liability.
- Represented insulation contractor in defending toxic tort claims by plaintiff with confirmed mesothelioma who alleged exposure to asbestos sought damages in excess of a million dollars. Jury trial in Harris County resulted in a zero verdict for defense.
- Represented psychiatrist in defending claims alleging failure to provide proper follow-up care resulting in suicide. Case tried in Smith County which returned a zero verdict of no liability.
- Represented an oral surgeon in defending claims of wrongful death following surgery to repair a broken jaw on a 50 year old female patient. Jury trial in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas result in a zero verdict for the defense.
- Represented ophthalmologist accused of medical negligence in performing cataract surgery. Following jury trial in Smith County, jury returned a defense verdict of no liability.
Areas of Practice
- Healthcare Law
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- 2009 “Daubert: Recent Cases” Advanced Personal Injury Law Course
- 2007 Panel moderator on “Burning Issues” at Advanced Medical Malpractice Course
- 1996 “When Docs Do Drugs” TADC Seminar
- 1992 “Defense of Doctors in Malpractice Cases” TADC Fall meeting
- 1990 & 1991 “Evaluation of a Personal Injury Case from the Defense Perspective” TADC Rookie Attorney Seminar
Honors and Awards
- Texas Super Lawyer, a Thomson Reuters Service for 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009,2010 & 2011
- Charter fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Texas
- Smith County Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel serves as Publications Vice-President
- Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Member, Board of Directors – Parents Anonymous